Monday, August 8, 2011

Ramadan

I fasted for 2 meals today, typical monthly Mormon style. I ate dinner with relish, and it made me think about my Muslim neighbors who are celebrating Ramadan this month. They don't eat or drink until the sun goes down at night. Our poor Palestinian chefs have been cooking for us every day this week, handling our food and drink without being able to have any of their own until approximately 7:35 when the sun goes down and the Ramadan cannon fires. The shopkeepers are unusually sluggish, and they complain of the heat. It might not be the best month to bargain for souveniers (especially if they are as cranky as I am when I don't have food). The streets are full of neon lights when the sun goes down, and the falafel shops have traded their pita for palm-sized pancake/crepes. I don't fully understand what a fast means to a Muslim, but it was nice to feel like we had something in common for 18 hours today.

No comments:

Post a Comment