Monday, May 2, 2011

Firsts

Hey friends, I finally heard from Jenny! Here's her first post--appropriately about firsts:

First time on a plane:
I was delighted to discover that my stomach is quite at ease at high elevations, and I was shocked at how comfortable the hard slab floor of JFK airport is. Of the eighty students in our group, the 16 of us who took Delta (now dubbed the "Sweet Sixteen") ended up getting delayed for over 24 hours in New York. We spent the night in a quiet(ish) gateway, and would you believe it, we are best friends now! The sixteen of us were very tired, very smelly, and very grateful to arrive after our 50-hour trip to Jerusalem.

First Old Jerusalem excursion:
The first time I went through the Old City, I was horrified. We were warned over and over about savvy pick-pockets, crazy drivers, and men who like to harass tourist women. I was too worried to appreciate the bustling streets, the exotic food vendors, the incredible architecture, and the varied locals. I visited the city again for the second time today, and I am entirely enamored. I exchanged my American money for shekels at Aladdin's Money Change (Aladdin is pronounced "Allah-Deen"), and then I set out with a couple of friends to buy shampoo and postcards. Getting lost in the gated portion of the Old City is a worthy way to spend the afternoon, if you ever get the chance. The vendors recognize students from BYU Jerusalem, and they call out to us, telling us that they like Mormons and that they will give us good prices. My favorite salesman today kept pulling me aside to show me wall hangings. He'd pull out his calculator and ask me which one I liked best, and how much I would pay for it, "because you are a nice lady, and I want you to have something." My spending sensibilities probably drove him crazy, because although he struck a good bargain, I insisted that I never buy on my first trip. I think we will probably go back and give him real business later.

First sacrament meeting in Jerusalem:
The back wall of the Jerusalem Center chapel is three floor-to-ceiling arched windows that overlook Old Jerusalem, and it is the most breathtaking view that I have ever beheld. I was overwhelmed on Shabbat to look out on the city and sing "The Spirit of God." How grateful I was, singing "God Loved Us, So He Sent His Son," to have the restored gospel of Jesus Christ. I am also grateful for a new call to serve as a primary teacher in the Jerusalem Center branch!

First stay at the Jerusalem Center:
Three favorite things: 1.The apartments in the Jerusalem Center are pods that branch out of an open-air enclosure, so outside of our bedroom/bathroom, we are always exposed to the sounds and smells of Jerusalem. 2. Virtually the entire north-western side of the Jerusalem Center is made of huge arched windows. The view of Old Jerusalem assaults you from any floor and almost any classroom. 3. The Oasis cafeteria is without a doubt the best food I have ever encountered. Our cooks are all local Palestinians, and we have hummus, pita, lamb, tuna, melons, grapefruit, figs, fresh vegetable dishes, soft mozzerellas, curries, and dozens of other new and delicious foods at every meal. It's a party in the mouth, three times daily.

1 comment:

  1. 50 hour trip! what a way to begin your international travel. And I think I need an Oasis cafeteria here please!

    ReplyDelete