Saturday, April 23, 2011

The Jerusalem Center



Brigham Young University's Jerusalem Center for Near Eastern Studies is located in East Jerusalem between Mount Scopus and the Mount of Olives. My group consists of 80 intrepid undergraduates students. We'll be taking a full load of coursework--Modern Near Eastern studies, Ancient Near Eastern studies, Old Testament, New Testament, beginning Hebrew/Arabic (I chose Hebrew because I heard rumors of a friendly instructor who loves to sing Hebrew hymns), and Fieldtrips (yes, that is the title of the course. I'm pretty sure I haven't been on a real fieldtrip since gradeschool, and I'm hopping with excitement!).
Just a few fun things about the Jerusalem Center:
*We celebrate Sabbath on Shabbat--that's Saturday. Sunday is our day off.
*We have weekend movie nights at the center. The premiering shows include Moses, Aladdin, and other American films set in the Middle East. Strange that we should watch American movies when we could walk outside and see the real deal, but I think I'm already a fan of this cheesy tradition.
*Tuesday-Friday are class days. Mondays are all-day fieldtrips to visit the sites that we've been learning about. Talk about integrative learning! :)
*Aside from our time at the Center, we will spend a week in Jordan, a week in Turkey, and a couple of weeks along the shore of the Sea of Galilea.
*The plane ride to Tel Aviv will be approximately 24 hours including layovers...a fine way to celebrate my first time on an airplane.
*Absolutely no proselyting at the center...but we'll try to keep the light in our eyes, as Elder Faust suggested.

3 comments:

  1. Along the shores of Galilee? Wow, that sounds like the very best part to me...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm looking forward to hearing all about your adventures!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm excited already! Thanks for taking us all with you via blog!

    ReplyDelete